TFB Short Clips
The Awesome Kindle Paper White
Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
- The thinnest, lightest Kindle Paper White yet—with a flush-front design and 300 PPI glare-free display that reads like real paper even in bright sunlight.
- Now waterproof, so you’re free to read and relax at the beach, by the pool, or in the bath. Your Kindle has been tested to withstand accidental immersion in water.
- Enjoy twice the storage with 8 GB. Or choose 32 GB to hold more magazines, comics, and audiobooks.
- Now with Audible. Pair with Bluetooth headphones or speakers to listen to your story.
- A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours.
- The built-in adjustable light lets you read indoors and outdoors, day and night.
- Get instant access to new releases and bestsellers, plus over a million titles at $2.99 or less.
The Kindle Paper-white is Amazon’s mid-range e-reader, sitting between the affordable Kindle and the top-end Kindle Oasis in Amazon’s range, and the design reflects that.
The Kindle Paper-white doesn’t feel as premium as the Oasis – mostly as it has a plastic rear – but we found it easy to grasp, and it doesn’t look bad. All of that said, we found it did quickly get quite grubby with fingerprints on the rear.
On the bottom edge, you’ll find the power button as well as the micro USB slot for charging, but apart from that the edges are clear of buttons, so you can comfortably grip the device without pressing anything by mistake. The bezels around the screen are thicker than on some more upmarket ereaders, though.
These sit flush with the display, giving the Kindle Paper White a more high-end look than its previous iterations and ensuring it now looks similar to the discontinued Kindle Voyage.
One omission is that there aren’t any hardware buttons for changing the page. Instead, you’ll be using the touchscreen to flip through pages. We’ve found this to be reactive to the touch, so you won’t struggle to scrub through pages in your latest book.
The display itself is 6 inches with a resolution of 300 pixels per inch, which is the same as the last Kindle Paper-white, and the perfect resolution for reading text.The brightness has been slightly improved here, although it’s not something we noticed particularly.
A big upgrade over the original Paperwhite, and one of a few features inherited from the top-end Oasis, is the fact the Kindle Paper white (2018) now comes with a waterproof design.
That means you can happily read in the bath, or while lounging by the pool, without having to worry about it getting splashed or dunked. It can survive up to 60 minutes at depths of up to 2 meters.