The Extremely Comfortable New Balance 990 V5 Sneaker Is The Next Best Thing
- 50% Synthetic, 50% Mesh
- Made in US
- Rubber sole
- Heritage Style: The 990v5 is an iconic sneaker, built with pigskin and mesh upper in a classic running silhouette designed to look amazing anywhere from a morning run to the runway
- Supportive Fit: Venture on, wherever the day takes you, with the New Balance 990v5 lifestyle shoe. An ENCAP midsole combines lightweight foam with a durable polyurethane rim to deliver all-day support
- Helps Protect Ankles: Designed for all-day comfort, these everyday running shoes from New Balance also include dual-density collar foam that offers support and comfort for your ankles
- Built to Last: These New Balance everyday shoes are designed with a durable blown rubber outsole that stands up to daily wear and helps provide comfort in every step
- Made in the USA: Manufactured in the US for over 75 years and representing a limited portion of US sales, New Balance MADE is a premium collection that contains a domestic value of 70% or greater
Founded in 1906 by William J. Riley, New Balance Arch Support Company was launched to produce—you guessed it—orthopedic arch support inserts. The Irish immigrant stipulated that his technology improved foot pronation (caving in at the ankle), thus promoting better balance, hence the brand’s name. The 990v5 is the flagship New Balance shoe adored by celebrities and streetwear pundits alike. It comes in women’s whole and half sizes 5 to 13 and men’s whole and half sizes 7 to 16 in gray, black, and navy, and in six widths.
It’s no shock that such notable names have flocked to the NB 990 range. The 990 was a game-changer in the shoe world, according to many sneakerheads. The range has gathered praise for what it is—a line of running shoes—and for what it isn’t—” dad New Balance shoes.”And, with its simple and versatile comfort, it’s no wonder that dads flocked to the shoes to keep their feet cozy. It may be because of these 990s that clunky “dad sneakers” are a trend all these years later. As for the range’s intended purpose, sneaker-lovers claim the NB 990 range is the reason New Balance gained its running-shoe association.
It allegedly took four years to design the iconic original sneaker, which was down to all the research that went into it. Upon its release in 1982, it made a real splash with its monstrous price tag. Priced at over $100, it appeared to be of the most expensive running shoes ever made. It was also disruptive. The original, clunky sneaker was gray, which may not seem unusual now, but the ‘80s was a land of neon running shoes. So, not only was the gray a palette cleanser, but it was a genius way to market the shoes. There was no mistaking the NB 990 when you saw it in store windows or on feet.
New Balance’s 990 range was a shock to the neon-shoed market back in 1982. The muted grey was unheard of. But, since then, the shoes branched out a little with their design.The style is sleek but chunky. By no means are these close-fitting or subtle shoes, but New Balance uses that surface spacer to craft athletic shoes that look great and in various colors.Each shade is a darker, duller tone with lots of black options, while the brightest shoe is white.So, these definitely aren’t running shoes to make a fashion statement, as they’ll be inconspicuous, but they’re far from bland.There are a few brighter colors for the more adventurous runners, but these are in the minority.
FIT AND SIZING
The 990v5 runs true to size but has a wider toe box than you may have had previously. This gives you plenty of wiggle-room.If you’re not a fan of the extra room, wear thicker socks. Thicker socks may help absorb sweat and is a trick on how to wear shoes that are too big anyway.Most customers don’t seem to mind the roomy toe box, though.As far as size options for the fit, they run sizes 7–14 for men and in half-sizes to 12.5. Sizes 7 and 7.5 have half-narrow options.In addition, there are X-Narrowup to XX-Wide options and up to size 16 on New Balance’s website.